What do I need to do?

When a journal accepts your paper for publication, upload it here, before you sign any copyright or Open Access agreements.

We’ll check out the requirements and options and guide you through how to make it compliant.

Who is affected

Every Cambridge author who is submitting their work in the next REF, and only for articles or conference proceedings (with an ISSN).

Which manuscripts to upload

Upload articles or conference proceedings (with an ISSN). Monographs, books and other book chapters do not need to be uploaded.

Who can upload manuscripts

Manuscripts can be uploaded by an author, or an administrator or librarian on their behalf. You will need a Raven account (CRSid) to upload a manuscript.

Which version to upload

Which version to upload

You should upload your Author’s Accepted Manuscript. This is your version of the manuscript after peer review and including any final changes, but before publisher typesetting or copy-editing by the publisher.

Please do not send final versions, or typeset proofs.

You should upload the manuscript before you sign the publisher’s Copyright Transfer Agreement. Find out more about your copyright options.

When you need to upload

As soon as your peer-reviewed manuscript has been accepted, upload it. HEFCE policy requires manuscripts to be uploaded no later than three months after acceptance.

Ideally you should upload the manuscript, or contact us, before signing a Copyright Transfer Agreement or choosing an Open Access option on the journal website.

File formats we accept

We prefer Word and PDF files.

Open Access charges (APCs)

In many cases you can comply with HEFCE’s requirements without paying a fee.

The University has grants from RCUK and the Wellcome Trust to support their Open Access policies. Upload your manuscript and we’ll let you know if your paper is eligible for these funds. It’s important that you contact us before selecting an Open Access option from your publisher.

Funders other than RCUK or Wellcome may have Open Access policies, some of which can only be met using a paid option - we can advise you.

If you have any other queries please contact us.

Other publisher fees

Some journals charge other fees such as submission fees, excess page charges or colour charges.

The University cannot pay submission fees, or colour, page and image charges; these are the responsibility of the author.

If you have any queries or require guidance, please contact us.


Licences are used to tell the reader what rights they are being given in relation to the paper/article when they access it. Different publishers offer a range of licensing agreements. Licences affect how your work can be copied, distributed, shared and how others can use it, commercially and non-commercially.

Some funders (e.g. RCUK, Wellcome Trust) specify what licence Open Access content should be published under. If this applies to your article, we'll check whether your journal offers the right licence and advise you if you need to take any further action.

Acknowledging funders

Most funders require you to acknowledge your funder when your manuscript is published.

The Research Information Network has developed a standard acknowledgment which is acceptable to all funders. Acknowledgements should follow these guidelines;

  • the funding agency name should be written in full
  • the grant number should be in square brackets
  • multiple grant numbers should be separated by a comma and space
  • funding agencies should be separated by a semi-colon.

E.g. 'This work was supported by the Wellcome Trust [grant number], [grant number]; Medical Research Council [grant number] and Cancer Research UK [grant number]

If you have any queries or require guidance then please contact us.

Read full details of the RIN guidelines . If you don’t correctly acknowledge your funder, it can cause problems, such as making your article ineligible for funds from RCUK or Wellcome block grants.