skip to content

Open Access


Q. If I’ve co-authored a paper with colleagues in the department, should we all submit the same ar­ticle?

No, that’s not necessary, so long as you are certain that one of your colleagues has done so. If all of you leave it to someone else, that will obviously result in none of you being compliant. Within Symplectic Elements you can check your publication list to see whether the manuscript has been uploaded by one of your co-authors or an administrator.

Q. My co-author in another institution has uploaded the manuscript to their system. Do I still need to submit it at Cambridge?

Yes. Current HEFCE policy requires that each institution take responsibility for its own researchers.

Q. The corresponding author doesn’t always communicate when the article is accepted. What should I do if I don’t find out the article is accepted within 3 months?

At the outset of collaborations you should make sure that all authors know that you are required to deposit the manuscript upon acceptance. If you do not receive the manuscript in time, you should send it to us as soon as you have it, but be aware that we will not be able to make it comply with HEFCE requirements. If this occurs after the policy begins being enforced on 1 April 2016, the paper’s REF-eligibility will be affected.

Q. If an Open Access fee has to be paid and there are authors from multiple institutions, who pays?

If the article is eligible for Open Access funds under the RCUK or COAF policy, then we will pay in the following circumstances:

  • The Corresponding Author is at Cambridge (even if the RCUK grant is held elsewhere)
  • The Corresponding Author was at Cambridge at the time the research being published was carried out
  • The Corresponding Author is at a non-UK institution but there is one or more Cambridge author
  • The Corresponding Author is at another UK institution, but they have no Open Access funds available

If the Corresponding Author is at another UK institution, we will advise you on the action you need to take, but will ask you to seek funds from them in the first instance. If that is unsuccessful, please let us know.